Thursday, November 11, 2010

These past few months.

These past few months....
I have been working on something.
It has taken a while.
It is called an Eagle.
Highest award that scouting can give out.
And it is dang hard to get to.
It all starts with 11 year old scouts.
You start off in that wondrous place.
Usually you earn your Tenderfoot, Second, and First class that year.
Then.  When you earn the title of 12, you move up with legit scouts.
Not saying that 11 year old scouts are legit....
Anyways.
Over the next few years, the Star and Life Ranks can be earned.
In order to receive these awards, you would have to earn a whole bunch of merit badges, and some other stuff.
Merit badges, for those of you who do not know, are items that you earn by completing a set of requirements.
There are many much merit badges.
121 to be exact.
You don't need to earn all of them.
Only a handfull of people have earned all 121 badges.
Which is amazing.
Way amazing.
After doing a whole bunch of stuff, you then get to start working on your Eagle Rank Advancement.
Do be awarded your Eagle, you have:
A total of 21 merit badges (piece of ice cream cake.)
Show leadership in activities with your troop.  (Pretty darn easy.)
Then a lot of other Misc. Stuff.
Then....
The Biggie.
While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. (The project should benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) The project plan must be approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your Scoutmaster and troop committee, and the council or district before you start. You must use the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook, BSA publication No. 512-927 , in meeting this requirement.

This, has taken me almost 11 months....
My project was with the Food and Care Coalition of Provo.  
I met with them.  
I asked what I could do. 
They said, "Hygiene drive."
I said. "Deal."
They gave me a list of items that were in need and ideas how to get them. 
I gave them a handshake.  
Then left.  
At the Food and Care Coalition, they require what is called an "Onsite Project."
In order for you do an Eagle Project for them... 
You have to serve in their food kitchen sort of place.  
That place.... 
Is...
AMAZING.  
For Teacher's next combined, we are going there.  
I will make it happen.  
That place is amazing.  
Awesome. 
Crazy cool.  
Way fun to work there.  
I got my group of people there and we helped out. 
Did I mention that place was amazing?
Well.  It is.  
We got there and served.  
Here are some memories from it.  
















The amazing food we served to the clients.


















This picture beats all.  
Every picture I have.  
This wins.






We all decided to clean.  
All except Bridger.  
He decided to supervise.  





















There was rejoicing after a good days work. 
Or a good 2 hours work.  

That was that part of the project: Finished.  
That was the easy part.  
Trust me.  
It was.  
After that...
Was, what I call, the Hygiene Drive part.  
I started off with going from door to door throughout my ward and hand delivering flyers.  
Yes.  
Hand delivering. 
We didn't do the lame, "put the flyer on the door" gig.  
No. 
We knocked, and physically shoved it into their hands.  
That took a few couple lots of hours.  
But, I think it was worth it. 
We got a lot of donations that way.  
I set a date to pick up the items and they were picked up. 
Pretty flippen good haul.  
After that, I set up a booth at Walmart. 





















Yes. 
There is the booth. 
I was there for 9 hours.  
I have....
Amazing friends and scouts to help me.  
Better than amazing.  
If I could give out an MVP award for helping me, that would go to...
*drumroll*
Noah Shumway.  
I would have probably not have finished my project without him.  
He was there whenever he could be there. 
FGNMBFBTHMWMEP.
If you can guess this acronym, I will buy you a dinner wherever you choose. 
Anyways.
Yes.  
He is a saint.  
We got a huge deal of donations from Walmart and from my awesome Ward members. 
I also got money donations....
I will not discuss how I got to spend these money donations...
But you can read about it here.
After buying the.... "items" I got to sort, count, and cross out all of the barcodes on all of the products.  

You want to know how much there is?














That plus more that we bought at Walmart.
That is a hefty load.  
We sorted, counted, and crossed out barcodes for about 3 Family nights. 
I less than three my family. 
I set a date to drop off the items.  
About 10 months have passed after I started on my project. 
And I can see the light.  
Yesterday. 
Wednesday. 
The Tenth. 
We loaded up the van with Tampons, Pads, Shampoo, and pretty much anything else you could thing of.
And we were on our way.  
We got there and we unloaded it.  
There was a lot lot lot lot lot of stuff. 
They have you weigh it.  
They have a pretty darn big scale there.  
Found out that I have broke 110 pounds. 
Just barley.
Don't worry.  
All of that is pure muscle.  
All together. 
We collected a total of 2837 dollars worth of items.
Umm.  
Yes. 
That is a lot.  
We concluded with our closing meeting. 
And, then I left.  
That was it. 
After of almost a year of work, it was over just like that. 
It may have been the best feeling that I have ever felt in my life. 
Thinking of how many lives I have changed. 
The main reason I am posting this blog is the say thanks to all of the people that spend hours and hours of their lives, to help me complete my Eagle. 
138 hours to be exact.  
138 of other people's time to help me complete my project. 
All I can say is wow.  
Thank you so much.  
From. 
Spencer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment